Jun 4, 2010
Altered Element Upcycle Challenge
Last months Upcycle challenge was a small wooden box, I think it had chocolates in it once, as a couple of labels were still attached. First of all I painted it with Decoupaint Antik (Oak), and when that was dry, I sponged areas with Decoupaint Patina (Russet). Whilst the paint was still wet, I sprinkled on Rusting powder and then sprayed it with water. Took a while to work...(dum de dum de dum......) but made a nice texture. At that point, I decided there wasn't quite enough colour on it, so I sprayed it with Cosmic Shimmer Mist, (Rich Gold).
Then I randomly sprayed the box with glue and added some Metal Flake. Some of it stuck but a few bits ended up on the floor (they are not alone!)
The hinge was made from Grungeboard, which was inked and then embossed with UTEE- only one layer, so it was still flexible - and then I drilled a few holes for the handle and the fastening. I made both of these from pieces of suede thread with beads. The finishing touches on the lid were made from Prima flowers, layered with Lammeta and a brad (which I bashed with a hammer and dripped alcohol ink on), a few glass tiles, also dripped with alcohol ink, and one of the original stickers. Sometime, I mean to do the inside as well.........
All paints, sprays and embellishments used are available from The Altered Element.