6 Feb 2014

Long time no post...


And that's because I have done almost nothing in the last few months......except follow Whole Lotta Led around the countryside! Let me see, I think I must've seen them about 9 or 10 times now - and I never seem to get tired of hearing them play. They are SO good at what they do, and I'm that finding listening to all these great songs just makes me hungry for more. And I'm beginning to understand more of the words - although I have listened to these songs hundreds of times, I never got to grips with many of the lyrics, mainly owing to Planty's rambling and esoteric approach, and his habit of stretching out words into unrecognisable form - 'Bin a long time since the rack and the roooooolye....'

But, with repeated live listenings, they have started to morph into recognisable and distinct words - which is wonderful for me, as there is nothing I like better than yelling along to my favourite songs (as long they are played so loud that I can't hear myself singing.)
The Swindon, Newbury, Stroud shows were followed by Kidderminster, and then Southampton, Cardiff, Gloucester, Liverpool, High Wycombe and Frome. So far.

I am still blown away by how good these guys are! Kidderminster wasn't exactly crowded, but it doesn't seem to faze them, they still put on a blinding show, and they always seem to be enjoying themselves. We even had a support tonight, two sisters(?) called Tinkers Cuss, who sang some Sandy Denny songs and even did a Led Zep cover, um forgotten which one, but they did it beautifully! I was very happy to see them, cos I knew it meant that the boys would be doing Battle of Evermore which is my favourite LZ song.
Gloucester on Dec 22nd was a bit of a party, as Steve came along, and Carol, and Ann's sister Jane! Was a wonderful show, the Guildhall is a really good venue. 

It's all Jolly Good Fun, and no more so than when Jax and I set off on our intrepid journey to Liverpool, to:
 A) celebrate my umpty frith birthday, and,
 B), surprise the guys with our intense and possibly misguided loyalty and devotion.

We managed to get to Liverpool with no mishaps - no driving down the motorway the wrong way, as is our wont -  and found the venue very easily, mainly thanks to Mrs Sat nav.  Whilst we were outside dithering as to our choice of hotel for the night, the boys arrived in their van, and so we beat a hasty retreat lest they see us too soon.......


We ended up booking into the ancient but restored Adelphi Hotel, a short walk from the O2, for the princely sum of £45 inc the full English - if we'd walked in and booked at the front desk it woulda been £85 plus breakfast!"!! But because we are canny lasses and have full control of our mobile phones, (yes really!) we parked out back and booked via one of them last min cheapo get-your-rooms-here-for-next-to-nothing websites. Bargain!!!

So, Jax goes off to park the car, then we eat, and, on the way to the venue, she announces that we have have free tix!! I love her, she is so cool!!
Now, under any circumstances, this would be great news, but you gotta understand, she hates any sort of  hobnobbing, and asking for stuff, so this was a birthday present that was Out Of The Ordinary in the extreme - and one for which I am still most appreciative....!! Love ya, Jax xx


So.... we get there and the bouncer guy won't let us in, and then we notice a kind of tramp loitering at the entrance - but it's actually Nick come to let us in!!  He gave us all access passes, so when we got in we were looking for any place that it was worth having all access to -.mebbe the odd cupboard? - honestly,  it was the grimmest venue,  really quite depressing, all damp concrete with a drab 60's grey building kind of vibe.......
We ended up in their dressing room eventually - poor guys, it looked like it needed a visit from Changing Rooms, no drinks or sofas, or flowers unlike all of the Cooper dressing rooms I've been in .......but I guess they are used to it.......... And then Nick presented me with a birthday card signed by them all!! I dunno whether he went out and bought it or what, but I was blown away by it!! Don't think Alice will be sending me one any time soon, sadly, but I was super happy to get this one, thank you guys xx

As they needed to get ready, we left them to it and tried to find our way to the stage .....on the way we found several enormous rooms, completely devoid of people, several extra stages and a number of cupboards masquerading as 'green' rooms...........and eventually found the right stage  - it had Charlie's drum kit on it, thankfully, so we knew we were in the right place.


I faffed around on stage for a bit while Jax took pix, and then we took our place on the floor - at the barrier of course - this is MY place.


Another great show and the audience were very appreciative - so much so, that the guys decided to do an extra track after the usual encore of Whole Lotta Love and R'N'R, and we got an extra song - The Ocean - which is one of my favourites!
 


After a quick chat with the guys, we  went off to our FAB hotel, drank some wine, and dozed off..........only to wake up several hours later, just in time for our full English breakfast. Over bacon, sausages, eggs, tomatoes,mushrooms toast and butter, we talked about reducing our carb intake, and eating healthily. Mebbe next week, huh?

Can't visit Liverpool without a bit of sightseeing, so we went shopping and found a great little arcade, full of retro hippy shops including a vinyl store where I bought a 12" Man Behind The Mask and a copy of Zipper Catches Skin to add to my vinyl collection. Bit more walking found us at The Cavern, which is really REALLY deep down in the bowels of Liverpool, and is a wonderful pub/venue with a great vibe, and lots of Beatley souvenirs.  There was a guy on stage doing Beatle cover songs, and chatting with an appreciative audience, and I have no doubt, that if this was nearer to home, I would be coming here for as many Saturday nights as I could!

 We headed on toward the river,so we could watch the ferry cross The Mersey, before heading on down the motorway for home, on the way deciding that we liked touring so much, we could just carry on doing it. Had that thought before, I can tell you. :)








We are having SOOOOO much fun :) :) :)

 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello (Hurray) peeps, leave me a note, a comment or just say hi! Thanks :)