14 Nov 2018

Penny Dreadful's Big Adventure

I never went backpacking when I was young. I always meant to, but
life got in the way, and so it never happened. Two of my daughters have experienced long term travelling, and taken lots of great photos, which made me very envious. So, one day, John said, why don't you go and see Ellie (currently in Thailand with boyfriend Will) and do a little backpacking on your own? Don't need telling twice! So here I am in Chiang Mai, been here a few days now, and tomorrow, I am off to Koh Phangan a bit further south to meet up with Ellie and Will.

Nov 8/9
Flights all ok  no probs so far, except that my bag broke and I lost all my hair ties. And I couldn't understand a word of the plane announcements...
' Laydiss and gennermen, jgfuvdhkjbf hfdu jijh blah blah....thenk quew vair much. '
Hey ho. I still managed to get my connection to Bangkok ok, and arrived with all my luggage intact




Nov 10/11
First night passed very comfortably in the Phoenix hotel, great air con, got cold in the night. And hot of course, will the hot flushes never end?
Great fridge too and free water, tea, WiFi. Also, it had a cute cafe, where I had dinner, fried rice, and breakfast toast. Glad I brought Marmite, shame I left it in room.
Took my drink back to my room, good job it had a straw, cos I drank some in the night, and in the morning it had a head of ants floating on top..... Feeling a bit queasy now.....
I dropped off the monster backpack at the left luggage in the station, and went for a short wander. Found a temple, and a nice cafe/hostel, where I had croque monsieur, kinda, for lunch. Fab, even tho it was on that hardboard of breads, sourdough. Had some iced green tea, looked a bit like pond water. So I tried Jasmin tea which was pretty tasteless, hah, will mebbe have mint tea tomorrow.
There is WiFi at the station but it's quite challenging to get onto it, although I managed in the end. There's lots of food here too but it's mostly junk, so I just bought some 'sour' mango. I was afraid  the sweet option would be covered with sugar, so I thought it best to play safe.  It's not too sour, really.......*screws up face*.






The train came in a couple of hours early, but I decided to get on it anyway. They are still cleaning it and putting out the bedding, looks pretty good,  don't think I'll have any trouble sleeping. But when do I ever?.
Backpack is too heavy, I already have backache, next time bring hand luggage bag on wheels, dunno why I didn't think of that before, I was so fixated on the backpack thing....
19.34 and we're off. 19.35 and we've stopped again. Start, stop. And again. No wonder this journey takes such a long time.
28 stop starts later, we're on our way.
A very large and smiley ladyboy came along and offered to bring me dinner at 8, and then breakfast tomorrow morning, so I ordered some bbq chicken wings, and breakfasty stuff. When the chicken turned up, it almost blew my head off, but I managed to get most of the skin and sauce off. Not enough, though, so I had to go down to the diner and order some chips. Much better. Thought I might lose weight here, but it's beginning to seem unlikely.
A man came along and made up my bed, so I went off to the loo, and brushed my teeth.  The toilet was challenging, supposed to be Western, it was just a hole in the bottom of the train. Better get my shewee out.
Nearly lost a shoe down the hole. And I don't have any others yet.
I discovered a Western loo later, which cheered me up no end, and so eventually managed to settle down and attempt sleep.
Guess I must've had some, because breakfast suddenly turned up, via my new ladyboy friend.







I got the shuttle bus to the X Kingdom hostel, which is perfect in every way, except that my room doesn't have a window. 😕 Although, after the first night, I gotta say it's not really a problem, the worst thing is that the doors are frosted glass, so the landing space light is a real pain.
I went off for a wander, and discovered the Wangsomething market, where I bought a lovely long sleeve shirt (for temple visiting), and discovered many more hostels with amazing coffee shops (and air con). Can only stand so long in the heat before I get grumpy.






Later on, I went off to the Sunday market, which is mainly locals selling hand made stuff, not your usual every-other-stall-the- same, and although I struggled not to buy anything, I failed miserably, and ended up with a new bag (my daybag broke), a pair of elephant print shorts, a bracelet, a pair of flip flops, and a very small china elephant. And a half hour foot massage (£2), (at which point I discovered I'd lost my purse....

The not unsubstantial scary massage lady was beginning to look very grumpy,  until her enterprising neighbour spotted it under my chair) . Also had some non spicy  pad Thai, and 2 glasses of locally made lychee wine. I wondered whether I would sleep at all, but the 7 o'clock alarm was vile.

But it's Thai cookery today, so gotta get up!

1 comment:

  1. What an exciting time for you Pen, I'm so glad your purse turned up x

    ReplyDelete

Hello (Hurray) peeps, leave me a note, a comment or just say hi! Thanks :)